Application Procedure and Requirement
Application for 2021 Admission
Start: August 25, 2020
Due: May 30, 2021 (Rolling admission)
1. Application Procedure
1) Please go to http://apply.cuhk.edu.cn/matrix-base/gs/login
2) Fill in application materials and upload required documents in PDF files as follows:
1. English cover letter;
2. English resume;
3. English personal statement;
4. Certificates of academic qualifications (e.g. university certificate of graduation, examination certificates and other qualifications);
5. Scans of official transcripts (with GPA and a complete record of courses attended and examination results), grade ranking and grading scheme of all tertiary level studies;
6. Scans of the official ranking
7. English Proficiency Proof (by submitting any one of the following documents as stated in “Minimum Entry Requirement” in below.);
8. Confidential recommendations (for all applicants) from two referees. Input two referees’ information through the “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes”. Invitation for confidential recommendations will be sent to the referees automatically; at the time when the application is submitted;
9. Additional information or documentary proof if deemed necessary.
3) Pay a non-refundable application fee of RMB 300.
Please note that all original documents will be checked at the time of enrollment. Any misrepresentation in the documents and information provided will result in disqualification of their applications and subsequent enrollments in the University.
2. Minimum Entry Requirement
For the MPhil-PhD Programme, applicants should have:
(i) graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
(ii) graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or
(iii) completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honors degree.
(iv) fulfilled the English Language Proficiency Requirement as specified below:
The applicant should either:
• possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam (AS Level) /Hong Kong Higher Level Exam; or
• achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
• Completed a degree programme for which the medium of instruction was English, and the CUHK(SZ) Graduate School may request applicants to provide additional supporting documents to prove their English proficiency; or
• submit one of the following original score reports/certificates for assessment by the Programme concerned:
TOEFL (not lower than 550 paper-based; 213 computer-based; and 79 internet-based)
IELTS (Academic) (not lower than Band 6.5)
• have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country.
There will be an interview administered by the Programme.