M.Phil. - Ph.D. Programme in Data Science -Application Procedure and Requirement
Application for 2024 Admission
Start: September 1st, 2023
Due: May 30th, 2024 (Rolling admission)
1) It is suggested to contact the intended supervisor in advance. Please check more details for Faculty.
Please indicate at the application system if they are co-supervisors, eg. " Prof. XXX, Co-supervisor Prof. XXX".
2) Online application: Please go to https://pgapply.cuhk.edu.cn/
Fill in application materials and upload required documents in PDF files as follows:
1. English resume;
2. English personal statement;
3. Certificates of academic qualifications (e.g. university certificate of graduation, and certificate of study and other qualifications);
- Applicants who obtained degrees from Mainland China should provide both degree certificate (学位证书) and graduation certificate (毕业证书)
- Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate and Online Verification Report of Higher Education Degree Certificate, or Certificate of Authentication for Foreign Academic Degrees and Qualifications issued by the Ministry of Education Service Center for Scholarly Exchange (CDGDC)（If necessary）
4. Scans of official transcripts (with GPA and a complete record of courses attended and examination results, and grading scheme of all tertiary level studies), if cGPA is not shown on the transcript, please calculate it by yourself and send supporting documents to email@example.com;
5. Scans of official document which can prove the applicant’s cGPA ranking in the School/Programme (recommended, if the applicant’s university does not have a template, please refer to Form 1: Certificate of Cumulative GPA Ranking (Click to download). If the university does not support the issuance of any document that can prove a student’s cGPA ranking, an official statement or signed Form 2 Justification on Not Issuing GPA Ranking Certificate (Click to download) should be submitted)
6. English Proficiency Proof (by submitting any one of the documents as stated in “Minimum Entry Requirement”.);
7. Confidential recommendations (for all applicants) from two referees. Invitation for confidential recommendations will be sent to the referees automatically upon submission of application;
8. Copy of National ID (Chinese citizen) or Passport (foreigner)
9. Additional information or documentary proof if deemed necessary.
3) Pay a non-refundable application fee of RMB 300.
Please note that all original documents will be checked at the time of enrollment. Any misrepresentation in the documents and information provided will result in disqualification of their applications and subsequent enrollments in the University.
Minimum Entry Requirement
For the PhD Programme, applicants should have:
1. A Master's degree holder from a recognized university; or
2. Graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
3. Graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B" ; or
4. Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
For the MPhil Programme, applicants should have：
1. Graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
2. Graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
3. Completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
All students should fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed below before they are admitted:
• submit one of the following original score reports/certificates for assessment by the Programme concerned:
TOEFL (not lower than 550 paper-based; and 79 internet-based)
IELTS (Academic) (not lower than Band 6.5); or
• have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country.
There might be an interview administered by the Programme as appropriate.
* On the commencement day, the programme will collect the original copy of official and completed transcripts of all academic qualifications, as well as the original language transcripts.