Ph.D. Programme in Data Science - Summer Camp
The School of Data Science (SDS) in The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen has designed the 2024 Ph.D. Admission Summer Camp for talented students who wish to join the Ph.D. Programmes. SDS aims to produce the best trained Ph.D. students who will be capable of becoming faculty members at top research universities or working in leading research and development labs in industry.
1. Basic Information
Date and Time: July 7-9, 2023
Location: Campus of The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen
Brief Introduction: During the summer camp, together with our partners within CUHK-Shenzhen and members from the industry, we will present ample research and study opportunities that are available at SDS. Events include tutorials on cutting-edge research works conducted by SDS teams, open discussions with SDS faculties and current Ph.D. students, and a campus tour. Outstanding Student Selection will include written and oral exams to learn more about students’ mathematical and computer-science background and their research interest.
A small number of outstanding students attending the summer camp may receive early admissions and fellowship.
Prospective Ph.D. students to be enrolled in Fall 2024. The summer camp is mainly targeted for current senior undergraduate or master students who are highly motivated and passionate towards scientific research and equipped with solid mathematical and/or computer-science skills to apply.
Applicants should only submit their applications through the online application system:
- Cover Letter
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letter (from two to three referrers, invitation email will be sent to designated address when the application is submitted)
- Scans of official transcripts (with GPA and a complete record of courses attended and examination results)
- Scans of official document which can prove the applicant’s GPA ranking in the School/Programme (recommended, if the applicant’s university does not have a template, please refer to Form 1: Certificate of Cumulative GPA Ranking (Click to download). If the university does not support the issuance of any document that can prove a student’s GPA ranking, an official statement or signed Form 2 Justification on Not Issuing GPA Ranking Certificate (Click to download) should be submitted)
- English Proficiency Proof (optional): TOEFL/ IELTS/ CET-6
- Scans of student id card and passport
- Other materials (optional, applicants can upload awards, academic highlights etc. If any, please list all the martials in a separate page and submit together with e-copies of materials)
*All application materials should be submitted in the form of PDF file. All applicants shall solely and entirely responsible for the materials submitted and noted that of lack of any required materials can lead to adverse impacts on their applications.
First Round : June 1st, 2023
Second Round: June 15th, 2023
Results will be sent to admitted applicants via email on/ before June 8th (first round) and June 20th, 2023 (second round).
The application fee is exempted for summer camp applicants. The university will provide accommodation to admitted students (non-local) during the summer camp. In addition, admitted students could reimburse up to RMB 500.00 travel expenses. Only economy class of air/train/bus ticket could be reimbursed. Details will be provided separately.
5. Contact Us
Hotline: (86) 0755-23517011
(86) 0755-84273395 (9:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday)
*SDS reserves the right of interpretation of the 2024 summer camp activity.