The 2022 SDS Ph.D. Admission Summer Camp hosted by the School of Data Science (SDS) in the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen) is designed for talented students who wish to join the Ph.D. Programme of Data Science. SDS aims to produce the best trained Ph.D. students who will be capable of becoming faculty members at top research universities or working in leading research and development labs in industry.
1. Basic Information
Date and Time: July 21st (Wednesday) to July 22nd (Thursday), 2021
Location: Campus of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen)
Brief Introduction: During the summer camp, together with our partners within CUHK-Shenzhen and members from the industry, we will present ample research and study opportunities that are available at SDS. Events include tutorials on cutting-edge research works conducted by SDS teams, open discussions with SDS faculties and current Ph.D. students, and a campus tour. Outstanding Student Selection will include written and oral exams to learn more about students’ mathematical and computer-science background and their research interest.
A small number of outstanding students attending the summer camp may receive early admissions.
Prospective Ph.D. students to be enrolled in Fall 2022. The summer camp is mainly targeted for current senior undergraduate or master students who are highly motivated and passionate towards scientific research and equipped with solid mathematical and/or computer-science skills to apply.
Applicants should only submit their applications through the online application system:
- Cover Letter
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letter (from two to three referrers, invitation email will be sent to designated address when the application is submitted)
- Scans of official transcripts (with GPA and a complete record of courses attended and examination results)
- Scans of official document which can prove the applicant’s GPA ranking in the School/Programme (recommended, if the applicant’s university does not have a template, please refer to Form 1: Certificate of Cumulative GPA Ranking (Click to download). If the university does not support the issuance of any document that can prove a student’s GPA ranking, an official statement or signed Form 2 Justification on Not Issuing GPA Ranking Certificate (Click to download) should be submitted)
- English Proficiency Proof (any one of the following documents mentioned)
- Scans of official document stating the Programme/School adopted English as teaching language
- TOEFL: not lower than 550 (paper-based); 213 (computer-based); 79 (internet-based)
- IELTS (Academic): not lower than Band 6.5 - College English Test CET-6: not lower than 520
- Scans of student id card and passport
- Two to three intended supervisors (The applicant should use Form 3 Name list of Intended Supervisor (Click to download) and submit it together with Other materials in one single file. Intended supervisors must be full-time faculty member of SDS)
- Other materials (optional, applicants can upload awards, academic highlights etc. If any, please list all the martials in a separate page and submit together with e-copies of materials)
*All application materials should be submitted in the form of PDF file. All applicants shall solely and entirely responsible for the materials submitted and noted that of lack of any required materials can lead to adverse impacts on their applications.
First Round: June 6th (Closed)
Second Round: June 30th
4. Result Notification
The School of Data Science will evaluate the qualifications of the summer camp finalists based on the materials submitted by applicants. The finalist quota will depend on the application. The finalists will receive the summer camp finalization email notice no later than June 15th (first round)/July 9th (second round). For those who do not receive the notification, they will be deemed to have not been qualified for this summer camp.
No application fee will be charged. Meals and accommodation during the summer camp period will be covered by SDS.
6. Contact Us
Hotline: (86) 0755-23517211
(86) 0755-84273395 (9:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday)
*Adjustments will be implemented on the basis of pandemic situation. The School of Data Science reserves the right of final interpretation.